My Border Collie, Ringo, is gone after the flea spray

Hi Everyone. In September 2005 I posted to this site about my dog, Ringo (post below). After 2 months of being in and out of the hospital, feeding him liquified dog food using a needleless syringe, and other continued symptoms, Ringo seemed to be on the mend! He was finally walking straight and his eyes stopped darting back and forth. He was on steriods permanently though. He’d have his good days and bad, had a few hospital check ups, and still occasionally ran into things.

The vet said that the Hartz had caused serious liver, heart and lung damage. He said it was only a matter of time before his conditions became too bad and we’d have to put him to sleep. Ringo started going downhill a couple of months ago. It was a slow process, but we were preparing ourselves for the day that we’d have to put him to sleep. We were going to do it in a couple of weeks. He was constantly bumping into things, couldn’t hold his bowel movements, was getting pretty weak, and threw up occasionally.

Yesterday Ringo was outside playing in the backyard. My mother left him outside for about 15 minutes. When she went outside, she found him in the pool. He was already dead. When I got to the house and went outside to his body, I saw that he was bleeding from his head. It was a really serious wound. We think that he probably tripped over something and ran straight into the concrete that surrounds the diving board and just sort of fell into the pool and died there.

Now I know that this death didn’t occur directly from the Hartz flea spray we used, but the only reason that Ringo was even in this condition was because of the spray. He was a perfectly heathly dog before. This was a result of a Hartz product.

My heart goes out to all of you who have lost your pets in this senseless manner. It’s tough. I miss my precious little Ringo so much…

Last night we put Hartz flea and tick spray on my 12 year old Border Collie, Ringo. When we woke up this morning we realized that poor Ringo had been sick all night. He had diarrhea and threw up all over the place. He also couldn’t walk straight at all. Poor thing, he tried to walk to us and he would just kind of fall over and have what looked like little seizures. Also his eyes darted from left to right and couldn’t stay focused on anything. We took him to the vet and now he’s staying there getting some treatment through an IV. The vet said that this is much more common in cats than dogs and that the normal treatment time would be 24-48 hours. But we live in the Houston area and Hurricane Rita is about to blow through here, so Ringo can’t stay there for very long today before the vet clears all of his patients out of the building.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *