Bio Spot Poisoned Our Pets

To all fellow pesticide victims,

Hi All,

I have read many of your stories in shock and have experienced a nightmare of my own. I have enclosed a copy of my letter to the EPA for you to read. I intend to follow up with other agencies in my area and I am also going to send a copy of this to PETA as well. If any of you have any additional information or suggestions please email me at [email protected]

I only wish I’d found this site before I nearly killed my pets with this crap. They are home tonight but I’ve been told it could be 3 weeks before we know if they’ll make it.

Thank you,

Deb Stone

To Anyone Who Cares,

Last night 11-11-05, I put Bio Spot Flea and Tick control on our 2 TWO HEALTHY cats and went to bed. I woke up to an absolute horror show. I MEAN HORROR!!!!!!!!!

I heard a horrible thud and asked my husband to check it out. He stared screaming for me to get in the bathroom now!! I went in only to find my son’s 2-year-old cat “Princess” seizing violently on my bathroom floor. Her head was arched back in violent racking seizures and paws flailing wildly in the air. Vomit was everywhere as well as diarrhea, pee, and blood on everything because she was biting down on her tongue from the seizing and unspeakable foaming from her mouth. I went into shock and couldn’t believe what I was witnessing. I picked her stiff and seizing body up off the floor and ran to my kitchen counter to try and get a better idea of what was going on. My husband placed a trash bag on the counter and I laid her down. She continued to seize violently and gasped for air. This is my son’s and his girlfriend’s cat so I yelled to my son to come and help. The terrified and traumatized look on his face mirrored my husbands and mine. Thank God our daughter was sleeping at a friend’s house and did not have to endure the horror of watching our precious cats suffer so horribly. My husband called the Banfield Pet Hospital and they said to bring her in right away. I didn’t think her seizing could get any worse but when I tried to wipe her mouth so she could breath she actually began like a running in place on her side and made sounds of death that even Steven Spielberg couldn’t produce. While I lifted her into a pet carrier my elderly mother began screaming from her bedroom. Our 8 yr. old cat “Oreo” was lying on the floor seizing, vomiting and foaming at the mouth just like “Princess”. Dear God, do you have any idea how absolutely horrifying it is to have not one but two members of your pet family dying before you and your child’s eyes? I knew once I saw “Oreo” that it must have been the Bio Spot flea treatment that “I”, “ME” had put on them thinking I was doing something right. Now, we needed to rush both of our cats to the hospital. My son and his friend jumped in his car with “Princess” and my husband and I took our car with “Oreo” who was dying in my arms as we rushed to the pet hospital. Both cats continued to seize, vomit and foam all the way to the hospital. “Oreo” looked at me with his eyes wide open and looked as if he were begging me to make it stop. Once at the pet hospital they were taken right in and treated by Dr. Augusto who is a wonderful veterinarian. We were then taken into a room to wait to hear if they were going to live or die. After what seemed to be an eternity, the doctor came into the room and informed us that the Bio Spot had poisoned them. They were both suffering the deadly effects of the toxic chemical pesticide, which is used in the flea treatment. He then proceeded to tell us that they might not make it and if they do survive this they may still have suffered permanent liver damage from this pesticide in the Bio Spot.

He then shocked me when he said he sees this “ALL THE TIME”!!!! How can this continue? How in the world can this deadly product be deemed safe and for use on pets if it is this deadly? This is a regular occurrence in the pet world. This is NOT just a case here or a case there. There are thousands of pet owners who have experience this, THOUSANDS. Once he delivered his news and returned to care for our cats, the nurse came into the room to give us an estimate for treatment. Today would cost me more than half of my husband’s bi-weekly check to the tune of $689.00. MORE THAN HALF!! Not to mention we are not done because they have to go back on Monday for a follow up visit if they live through this and more expense if they make it three weeks from now for more blood tests and further exams. Heaven help us if there is permanent damage because then I’ll have to decide if I can afford to continue with treatment or have them euthanized after all this anyway. We live paycheck to paycheck and this has put us in a world of financial hurt. We live in New England and need to buy oil for heat before it snows and now that will have to wait or maybe we just won’t eat for two weeks until our next paycheck. This is a direct result of the careless greed of Bio Spot and they should be required to pay for the expensive hospital care that we have been forced to pay to keep our pets alive after using their horrible and toxic product. You can’t even imagine how devastated and guilty I was feeling, thinking that I had probably killed our pets by using this crap. This is absolutely unconscionable on Bio Spot’s part selling something that they know and will not admit too, can cause and has caused this type of deadly reaction. I’m sure they must be laughing all the way to the bank at pet owner’s expense. This is reminiscent of the tobacco companies who for years said that cigarette smoking doesn’t cause cancer and look how that turned out. Do we have to wait for more pets and possibly humans to die from this toxin? While I was in the pet hospital waiting for the doctor I began experiencing a bloody nose that wouldn’t stop for several minutes. I have never had a bloody nose for any unexplained reasons before but suddenly I had one. I can’t help but wonder if I was also having a reaction to this toxin as well. Yes, I did get it on my hands and yes I did wash my hands after but what if… Consumers should not have to worry about killing their pets and possibly themselves because they want to rid pets of fleas and ticks. If it’s not safe then for God sake take it off the shelves. The EPA approved this toxic substance for use and now it needs to be removed from use. Why didn’t the FDA get involved in this process? I know that thousands of other pet owners have asked for your help and now so am I. I implore you to act in a conscientious and responsible manner and help me with this devastating and expensive result from using Bio Spot. This has been an extremely traumatic and expensive experience for our entire family, one we will never forget.

Sincerely,

Deborah J. Stone,

Auburn, Massachusetts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *