Now I know why Hammer died

Some years ago I had a pit bull puppy I called Hammer. Right after we got him, I used a puppy flea shampoo on him from Hartz. I don’t remember exactly which one, but I know that it was Hartz because I bought it from the supermarket, and that is all they sell.
That night Hammer looked woozy and a bit out of it, but I didn’t think anything of it, he had had a big day and it was the middle of summer, I thought maybe he’d a little heat exhaustion. But the next day he was worse, he couldn’t walk, and would sit on his rump and kind of rock back and forth. When he started vomiting, we rushed him the University of Penn Vet Hospital. All they could tell me was that he’d probably been poisoned by something, but I never thought it was the shampoo. It was something that was supposed to be safe, and when I told the vet, he never said that was a possibility.
They said we could take him home, but as we walked out the door, he started having seizures, so we rushed him back. After a couple hours, they told me there was nothing they could do for him. He had been convulsing the whole time, and they couldn’t make the seizures stop. There was swelling on his brain, and even if he recovered, he’d probably be severely debilitated, mentally and physically.
I told them to euthenize him, I didn’t want Hammer hurting anymore.
It has been ten years since, and I have always wondered what happened to him. And I am sitting here realizing for the first time. that I killed my puppy. That the shampoo I put on him poisoned him, and I was naive enough to think that just because it was allowed to be sold, that it was something that was safe.
I never knew.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *