I gave my 7 month old 2 drops of Hartz Advanced Flea & Tick medicine. I did not give her the full vial due to her young age and size. Five days later, my kitten greeted me as I returned home, as she always did. She seemed fine. Later in the evening I went downstairs to do laundry and found her dead on the floor. I didn’t have time to bathe her and remove the “medicine” nor did I have time to rush her to the veteranarian. She was gone. I cannot get her back but want to warn everyone not to use this product. It is LETHAL!
In May my cat Jon became very sick because of putting the hartz drops on my dogs. Not even directly on him. Sadly he finally died a week ago. Next month he was going to be 3. He was fighting, but the poisons that Hartz has sold was just too much for him. Please don’t ever use this product or even have it within you’re home. My father only put it on the dogs and my cats is dead.
Upon going to the pet store to look for flea products, I discovered that Hartz flea drops were much cheaper than some other brands. Not being rich, I bought the Hartz brand and applied the treatment to my three cats, ages 10 yrs, 9 yrs and 6 months. Twelve hours later, my 10 yr old cat was shaking and twitching and continued to do so through the night. My 6 mo old developed thick, large scabs on his back, which are still peeling off, taking the hair with it.
Unfortunately, a little of this poison must have gotten onto our 2-wk old kitten, as she has seizures daily.
I had no idea until just now that there was such an awful thing like this going on. I gave my cat Sunny, the drops just the other day, and THANK GOD, he is okay! He did seem to have lost his appetite that day though. I can’t believe that this product has killed so many of our beloved little friends. It is so sad, and it has to be stopped!
I don’t understand how these companies are able to sell things that are harmful to cats. A few months ago, I almost lost my Sunny because I had been feeding him Purina dry cat food. He ended up with crystals, and it was very painful and sad to see him suffer. Fortunately, I got him to a wonderful vet who saved him!
These companies know that what they are selling could KILL some cats, but as long as they are still making money, they don’t care!
Thanks for letting me vent!!!
I just wanted people to know how horrible this product is. I put Hartz flea drops on my 13 yr old cat last week and she died from it yesterday. I didn’t realize what was going on until I started reading some of the testimonials from people who have lost their pets from this crap. By then it was too late. She was already too far gone. There was nothing the Vet could do for her. I don’t understand how Hartz can sell this stuff over the counter with it being that potent. I am definately telling everyone I know NEVER to buy any Hartz products again.
Thanks for your time,
About a year ago my wife and I went walking with our two dogs on our farm where we live. As we approached a turn on a dirt road at the end of a corn field, I saw a very pretty, small male kitten that apparently was starving so badly that his head and his tale were tremendously oversized compared to his shrunken body.
He was so emaciated that he actually came out of the woods to me, cried at me and let me pick him up. We took him back to our house and put food in front of him which he ate for well over an hour. In a few days, we took him to the vet, had him checked for contagious diseases and “mainlined” him with our other housecats. He fit in perfectly. He was the sweetest cat I (or my wife has ever seen). We came to love him
I remember a number of years ago another Hartz flea/tick product was killing/sickening animals and was eventually taken off the market. Hartz denied it was at fault, of course. After that incident, I vowed to never use any Hartz product, because they refused to accept any blame or to voluntarily remove their product from the market. This company has a long history of bringing dangerous products to the marketplace, and failing to accept responsibility for problems.
I work for a groomer. Dogs come in all the time with those annoying flea collars (I think hartz is one of the few companies left that makes those things) anyway, whatever is in them makes me physically ill. They don’t work, and if I am getting sick just washing the dog that is wearing it, I would hate to think of what its doing to the dog
I bought my new kitten as a gift for my boyfriend three weeks ago. He is now 14 weeks old. When we bought him we noticed he had a few fleas but vowed to wait until he was at least 12 weeks old to treat the fleas. We ended up waiting until he was 14 weeks old until we went to the store. Unfortunately, we purchased Hartz brand medication. About an hour after I applied the drops I noticed our kitten (Bruce) was acting really strangely…kicking his legs and cleaning himself profusively. At first I thought maybe he had something in his feet, but then minutes later my boyfriend and I heard him attempting to climb onto the bed, something he can usually do in one leap. We then noticed he was shaking everywhere. We immediately washed him in the shower and called the vet. Thankfully we took him in within time to save his life. They kept him overnight giving him iv’s and muscle relaxers. The vet told us she has had so many cases of deadly reactions from Hartz within the last few months. I really hope they take this product off the market now. I feel so badly for those who have lost their pet due to this negligence. I am thankful, as is my boyfriend, for having Bruce back in our lives, healthy and happy. However, I will do all I can to fight to keep this product off the shelves. My heart is with all of you.
I usually use Bio- Spot on my cats, it is good for three months and that way I only have to use it once or maybe twice it it is a bad year. This time I took in my Graystone’s, sister and her last three kittens. I should of known she would have fleas since the neighbors let their animals run free all the time and they always have flees. any way my 4 kits and my Daughters got fleas too and I didn’t want to wait for the bio-spot to be shipped so I went to Kmart and bought the under 10 lbs for the younger two and the over 14 for the older three. Now the two youngest of mine who are 1 & 2 both got bad sores where the stuff touched their skin. And our 9 year old acted like he didn’t fell up to par but nothing real bad and the 7 year old was fine so far. what is eve worse not only are they making our kits sick and some out there dying this stuff doesn’t even kill the fleas and maybe that is why my kits are not as bad as some cause they have been taking baths trying to give them some relief from this and now I am scared to try any thing else on them. when my human kids where young they use to have out a wheat germ shampoo that worked great for fleas but I haven’t seen that in years. and it was only $.99 a bottle to bad it still isn’t out there
Kelly, Roger, & the Bosses
Even overweight cats instinctively know the cardinal rule: When fat, arrange yourself in slim poses. – John Weitz