I just sent an email out to 100 of my closest friends and family members telling them my story and pointing them to your Web site. Hopefully they’ll spread the word.
I almost killed my cat, Pisces, this week from using Hartz flea gel on her. My husband and I put the gel on her on Sunday night, and on Monday morning we couldn’t find her…very strange, she’s ALWAYS in bed with us in the morning. We found her sitting on a chair where she NEVER sits. She was lethargic, had dilated pupils, and was “out of it.” When we put her in the shower to wash off the flea medicine, she didn’t even flinch. I called the 24-hour animal hospital, and they told me to bring her in immediately. When we got there, she had the beginnings of tremors.
She spent two days in intensive care with an IV and catheter. Luckily she came out of it alive and she’s feeling much better now, but we didn’t think she was going to make it. THANK GOD I know my cat and her usual behavior. If I hadn’t checked on her before I left for work, she would have died.
The vet told me that he’s seen numerous cats die from Hartz flea gel; the pesticide that they use in that product has no antidote. It can cause seizures, neurological damage and death. DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT ON YOUR CATS!!!!!
The vet told me that the news show “20/20” did a story not too long ago on how Hartz flea medicine kills cats and yet they continue to keep it on the market. He also told me that they call Hartz EVERY time they see a poisoning, but so far, it has done no good. THIS MAKES ME SICK! I just did a search on the Internet, and found your Web site, and now I’m even MORE sick!
The animal hospital said the safest flea deterrent on the market is “Frontline,” and you can only get it from your vet. PLEASE don’t use anything else.
Please, pass this along to your friends and family who have cats and/or are cat lovers. I almost lost my beloved kitty due to this company’s sickening negligence.