Mooshek was poisened by Hartz Flea product.

Mooshek, my 6 year old European shorthair kitty, was poisoned by a Hartz flea product the summer of 2001. I had been laid off from my job and was crunching pennies when I saw the product on the supermarket shelf. It looked like the prescription products and I foolishly thought it must be safe and perhaps just a less potent version of the prescription one.

I applied it to Mooshek – within an hour he was screaming – literally. I rushed him to the vet’s and, before I could explain, the receptionist said, “Did you use Hartz over-the-counter flea medication?” I was shocked when told that the largest portion of their emergency visits were because of these products. A hefty vet bill – along with follow-ups and continued liver tests have resulted from that day.

The next 3 days were horrendous – with me spending hours holding Mooshek wrapped in a blanket. He had gone blind temporarily and was terrified so I just held and rocked and talked to him. Since then he has evidenced liver damage which we try to control. He’s never been the same physically since.

Hartz was ridiculous to deal with – telling me that there had been no deaths from the meds. I found out about 4 deaths among two vets within a day of talking to other pet owners. Where does Hartz get their info?

And, if the medicine is so “safe”, why do they have a designated toll free line for complaints?

I refuse to buy any Hartz products now – and never will again. Animal safety is not primary.

How do we get this off Wal-Mart and other store shelves? I’ve actually stopped people from buying the stuff when I’ve seen them reaching for it – telling them Mooshek’s horror story. Let’s get the word out!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *