All Flea Drops are bad

Not only Hartz will kill your cat, but many others will kill it. Sergeants flea drops can also kill your pet. My mom put the drops on my cat, and later on he was having seizures. My mom thought he was just acting crazy when the dog chased him up the couch and upset him. He was moving so fast across the floor, so I am guessing it was from the medicine. I woke up later that night to the sound of a noise like someone choking. My cat was on the floor running around in circles. I picked him up and he started trying to grab hold of me, and slightly clawed me up in the process. Once I got him to calm down, he suddenly snapped out of it, took a few steps, meowed as though he did not no what happened. He was under my bed making a hacking noise, so I decided to go somewhere else to sleep. I woke up with my brother screaming and crying. The cat was having seizures again, only this time it was even worse. He was chomping his mouth open and shut over and over and over. We wrapped him in a towel, and put a plastic medicine dropper in his mouth to keep him from destroying his tounge. We figured out right away that it was the flea drops. After what was probably a long time, he suddenly stopped, puked up some fluids, gagged again, and then he dropped dead. My mom was in so much denial about using the medicine she was so bad off she didn’t want to live any more. I am just writing this to make sure all others do not make the same mistake as we did.

My 1996 experience

In 1996, I adopted my then 4 yr. old Buddy, Himalayan cat from our local shelter. He got the BEST of care always, but then I lost my job and was desperate to find a cheaper alternative for his flea problem. I truly was broke then, so I thought the Hartz would work just fine, as I had been using Advantage from my vet for some months prior. I put ONE drop one the back of his neck, and then four hours later Buddy was walking sideways, howling, drooling profusely, and seemed to be having small seizures! Broke as I was, I took him into my vet at 7am, and the vet took him and the Hartz product. Buddy was on IV’s for 2 days, and it was expected that Buddy would not be able to recover – potential nerve damage, was the vet’s prognosis. It took about 1 week for Buddy to be healthy, and he still is to this day. For all these years, I have blamed MYSELF, for being broke, for not being able to provide good care for my pet, for maybe poisoning him because perhaps I was somehow “stupid”. Tonite I find your website, and am brought to tears, and great anger, in the knowledge that I did nothing wrong – that Hartz has a problem, and they have obviously done nothing for several years!! I can finally forgive myself, and I feel a kinship with all those whose stories I have read tonite…thank you for sharing, and bless all who have lost a pet because of this SLAUGHTERHOUSE of a company. I will not buy so much as a rubber ball from Hartz for as long as I live!! I had no idea that this was a nationwide problem-still, after all these years. Deedra, Oregon

Petra and Pandora

I just got two kittens – Petra and Pandora… they are just at 12 weeks old, but have fleas, so I used some Hartz (for cats and kittens 10lbs or under) that I had purchased a few weeks ago (in anticipation of getting my sweet girls)… I applied the drops at around 5pm… then, at around 10… Petra started first – I noticed that she was walking funny – almost sideways, and she looked like she was shivering, but it was more intense than that… not a siezure, but muscle spasms – even her little ears and tail were shaking…. I washed her off and dried her and gave her water with a dropper… then went to check on Pandora – who seemed to be fine at first, but soon after also experienced the all over body shaking… I washed her and dried her… Gave each of them water throughout the night and kept them wrapped up. They are at the vet right now, getting another bath and receiving atropene to help relieve the tremors.. Maybe even some Valium… These are KITTENS for goodness sake! They shouldn’t have to go through this! Hartz is very irresponsible for allowing this product to continue to be sold, and I, for one, will never use ANY of their products again… I have told everyone I know the same thing…. No one needs to go through the worry I went through last night, particularly when they are just trying to be good to their animals….