Cat Poisoned by Hartz Plus Sensitive!

I purchased Hartz plus cat and kitten flea and tick drops (sensitive) (under 10 lbs) for my 1 yr old cat at Winn Dixie on 2533 Thomas Drive in Panama City Beach, Florida. (850) 234-1200. Ingredients Phenothrin (batch 26002-08-2) 85.7% and Methoprene (65733-16-6) 2.9% The first time I used it I noticed the cat react bizarre after I applied it behind his neck. Scratching and licking as much off as he could. That was approximately 2 months ago. Last night 2/9/03….I put the second dose on him. Immediately the same reaction and then he ran outside. When he returned 4 hours later, he was severly shaking (all muscles) and not able to properly walk. His eyes were dialated. I looked at the hartz box and there was no warnings about reactions. I looked on the web at Hartz.com and said this:

“Q: How can I determine if my pet is having a reaction to a pesticide?

A: When used correctly, it is unlikely there will be any side effects to your animal. HOWEVER, sensitivities may occur after using ANY pesticide product for pets. If signs of sensitivity occur, immediately bathe your pet with a mild non-pesticide soap and rinse with large amounts of water. If signs continue, consult a veterinarian. If your veterinarian has any questions, he/she may contact the Hartz? Control Pet Care System? hotline directly at 1-800-275-1414.”

I immediately called them. They were closed. SO I bathed my cat with regular shampoo for humans and then dried him with a towel and prayed he would be better in the morning since I couldn’t afford after hours vet care. I did give him a tiny bit of benedryl in case he was having an allergic reaction to it. This caused vomiting and foaming at the mouth. He wouldn’t eat or drink.

He remained this way all evening, and was better this morning. Although he is still having slight rear walking problems. I called Hartz this morning and they acted so surprised I had a problem with this product and instructed me to send it back to them and they would reimburse me for it. After reading many weblinks about it, this product should be pulled off the shelves!!! I then emailed the EPA link on your website and also emailed my story to HARTZ. We’ll see what the reaction is!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *